It’s 19 weeks well into 2017 and I’ve walked only 10 hikes dialing in about 28 miles. I decided to enter this challenge last year and was also slow in 2016, ending at I think around 43 hikes. I am going to go try and hit the goal this year, and have plenty of catching up to do.
52 Hike Challenge came out with some interesting new challenges this year in order to engage the hikers that have completed the original challenge one or two times at this point. Although I did not reach goal, I consider myself a seasoned hiker so I chose the challenge recommended for “2nd timers,” the Adventure Series.
The Adventure Series is the Original 52 Hike Challenge with some objectives in mind. I have not completed these as of yet. It’s time to get walking!
- 5 Waterfalls (even if they are dry)
Rickett’s Glenn State Park will get this done and done.
- 1 Forest (if not possible, go to National Park/Site)
Dreaming of a trip to Tennessee for this one.
- 1 National Park, (Monuments, Preserves, Recreation Area or Historic Trail)
Hmm.. where to next? I also want to see all 59 National Parks before my time is up (I’ve only gotten 6 parks out of the way – I have some Alaska exploring to do!)
- 2 Hikes to bodies of water: Lakes, Rivers, or Ocean
Does visiting the city of Pittsburgh count? Three Rivers…
- 1 Stewardship hike (pick up trash or join group to help with a restoration project)
Join nearby trail clean-up group.
- 1 Group hike (if you are regular to one group, visit a new group to meet new people)
Go on a Venture Outdoors group hike! I have been meaning to…
- 1 Introduce someone new to hiking (on an easy trail)
I got this, who’s in?
- 1 Sunset or Sunrise hike
Also have a nice overlook in mind for this, already have tried sunset, will definitely get a phenomenal sunrise!
- 1 Hike from your Bucket list (somewhere you have always wanted to go)
I guess this means I have to go out west again.
- 3 Reflection hikes (journal at the beginning, middle, and towards the end of your challenge).
This will be the hardest, but at least I’ll be writing content for this blog!
- My own addition – a few hikes unplugged. I need to go for a walk in the woods with my cell phone or camera out of my hand, the whole time. Isn’t that kind of the point?
At the end of the day, this fun social challenge is something to consider for everyone that is always outdoors or wants to take the first steps to get outdoors more often. Plus, if we don’t get to #Hike52, we still win, duh! Who’s with me? What hike are you on?